The Canadian Red Cross’ mission is to improve the lives of vulnerable people by mobilizing the power of humanity in Canada and around the world.
Injury Prevention is a big part of what the Canadian Red Cross does, every day, to empower people to help themselves and prevent injuries. SmartStart is an injury prevention program specifically designed by the Canadian Red Cross to equip newcomers (immigrants, refugees and new Canadians) and their families with the information that they need to reduce and prevent injuries.
The program’s content educates participants on topics such as:
- Accessing the 911 system
- Basic home safety, such as fire and burn prevention
- Canadian standards of infant and child safety, including proper use of car seats, seatbelts and bicycle helmets
- Water Safety basics, such as proper lifejacket use and boating safety
- Prevention of injuries in cold weather
- How to identify choking and poisoning hazards
With support from the Brandon Area Community Foundation the Red Cross has been able to provide this information to newcomers in Brandon. We are now partnering on an ongoing basis with Assiniboine College’s EAL program and Westman Immigrant Services to provide these services to their clients.